Thursday, July 30, 2009

Fifty Under-Fives

Yesterday I joined children, teachers, and parents from my younger daughter’s school on a field trip. We went to a farm and then to one of those noisy child-centered restaurants for lunch.
I was struck by the easy grace with which the teachers managed the day. The teachers in my daughter’s class returned from the field trip to ready the children for afternoon naps and prepare themselves for activities with the children after nap-time. I went home exhausted to take a nap myself. I could see fatigue etched on the faces of other parents who had come along for the fun. As I closed the door on my daughter’s classroom it was good to see the teachers, though busy preparing cots for nap-time, still available with a smile and a hug for a tired toddler whose mommy was heading out of the door.
Child-care workers are not among the highest paid employees in this country though we trust them with our children - perhaps our greatest treasure. They are among the people who make our way of life possible.
Today please join me in prayer for all the people who take care of our children.

God, guard and guide all child-care workers.
Bless them in their work and in their leisure.
Sustain them with your loving presence when the children are a trial,
Give them loving patience.
May they be filled with joy in their special ministry.
In the name of Jesus. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment